Ael y Bryn
+44 (0)1239 891411
5 Star Award Winning Bed and Breakfast in Pembrokeshire Wales
Ael y Bryn

Ael y Bryn

Bed and breakfast in Pembrokeshire at Ael y Bryn in Eglwyswrw offers you an experience rarely found in guest accommodation today. Ael y Bryn is a special place to stay; we offer you spacious and comfortable, ensuite, ground floor accommodation.

In addition to our bed and breakfast accommodation we offer superb evening meals based on fine home cooking. Ael y Bryn is a special place to stay and celebrate birthdays and wedding anniversaries with your friends.

We aim for the highest standards for our bed and breakfast accommodation here in Pembrokeshire, and this is reflected in the highest rating and the Gold Award from Visit Wales for outstanding quality, exceptional comfort and unfailing hospitality. We are also rated 5 stars Gold with the AA and hold the AA Dinner Award and the AA Breakfast Award. We also hold the Good Hotel Guide César 2017 award for Welsh Guest House of the Year.

Ael y Bryn is not only conveniently situated for the coast path, the Preseli hills, and countryside activities, but also for those who wish to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the Pembrokeshire countryside. We are off the A487 at Eglwyswrw, which lies between Cardigan and Fishguard and is about 4 miles from the coastal path.

We welcome cyclists and walkers - we have safe storage and space for drying out wet clothes, bags etc.

We offer free Internet access.

We have ample parking on a tarmac drive, with a paved level access to the front door.

Ael y Bryn is spacious and luxurious, and has been constructed to maximise light and space. The house is totally surrounded by the Pembrokeshire countryside giving you a sense of peace and tranquillity unrivalled, we believe, by any other bed and breakfast accommodation in Pembrokeshire or indeed the whole of Wales.

We regret that Ael y Bryn is not suitable for children under the age of 14.

Another return visit & superb as always. SA & RA - May 2016, Swindon More Visitors Comments

 

Gallery


 

Ael y Bryn History

The building that is today known as Ael y Bryn is of local historic interest in the village of Eglwyswrw and has an interesting story to tell.

In 1942 the Government Ministry of Works Department requisitioned 2½ acres from Frochest Farm to build a Hostel for agricultural workers. For most of the war, the agricultural workers were prisoners of war captured during the Italian campaign. A national building contractor called Higgs and Hill built the accommodation using Goodwick, Emlyn and Trimsaran bricks.

One of Higgs and Hill's most recognised architectural buildings is the Hoover Building in Perivale West London, built in 1932 in the Art Deco style.

The building in Eglwyswrw was designed with two wings in the East and West. Each wing was 30 to 40 metres in length and 6 metres wide. The East wing housed the offices and accommodation of the person in charge and the West wing housed the sleeping quarters. The building was divided into bays with 8 bunk beds in each bay. The showers and sanitary accommodation were located under the tower. A narrow corridor joined the two buildings.

Later a third asbestos prefabricated building was added and used for recreational purposes. This has now been demolished.

At first the water supply was obtained from Frochest, but the supply soon proved vastly inadequate for the forty or so persons on site. The water was then obtained from the village from a well called Ffynnon Fair (Mary’s well). The well is still in existence on Tyddyn Castell land. The water was pumped daily and stored in tanks in the water tower. The Hostel had its own sewage treatment works. The water tower and the large circular filter bed are now disused but remain as features of the present building.

The Hostel was first occupied by the Women’s Land Army – women who had chosen to work on the farms rather than join the fighting services. There was a matron in charge and the women were taken out daily to different farms. Unlike those who were to follow, their movements were not restricted and were often seen in the evening service in Church.

When they moved to Croesgoch near St. Davids they were replaced by Irish workers who did the same work.

The next to arrive were Italian Prisoners of War who had surrendered during the North African campaign. Their movements were restricted and they were taken in lorries to farms in the mornings and returned to the camp in the evenings. There was a Sergeant and three or four Privates always in charge and on duty.

Although the prisoners wore tunics similar to the British Army, the prisoners’ tunics were brown with a yellow circle on the back and front so they could be easily recognised should anything untoward happen.

Next came the German Prisoners of War to whom the same restrictions applied.

At the end of the War the prisoners left; they were followed by Polish ex-servicemen who had fought against Hitler and were in danger of their lives if they returned to Poland.

In 1952 the Government returned ownership of the Hostel to Frochest Farm; the buildings were used for general agricultural use and the keeping of livestock during the winter.

Two Army ex servicemen have since been contacted. They were brought to the UK following the surrender of the Italian Army in North Africa.

They were angry young men fighting a war not of their making, and away from their families but they remember the kindness of the Welsh people while working on their farms.

We discovered the buildings in the year 2000, and by then they were in a poor state of repair. We purchased the buildings and started on the planning and development process to make them into the family home you see today. The two wings were retained and two new link buildings for the entrance hall and library were constructed to form the inner courtyard. The courtyard retains the style of the original narrow windows that were a feature in the original design. The walls were constructed of a cavity clay brick and an outer brick from the local Goodwick brickworks. This construction was retained and an additional insulated inner wall was added. Old bricks have been recycled around the garden to form paths and to build the cascading ponds.

Below you can see some example photographs of the house before and during reconstruction. Click on the photographs for a larger view.

Cymru Wales Gold Award
5 star wales
AA
Trip Advisor